Monday, October 14, 2013

My Favorite Time of Year...

       October! The sweet smell of pumpkin candles, pumpkin spice latte's from Starbucks, the crispness of the morning air...I LOVE October!
        October also means report cards...GAG!
       My class has been knee and elbow deep in pumpkins!  I had an amazing NAU partnership student who put together a pumpkin unit that my class absolutely LOVED!
We started Oct. 1st with pumpkins on everyones tables.
We then made HUGE pumpkin life cycles ( I thought it would be a great idea to make them gigantic but I didn't really pre-plan where I would put the darn things.)
We opened pumpkins and explored them.  We learned that pumpkins have seeds, pulp, and the more ribs a pumpkin has the more seeds there are inside.

Finally the kids had the daunting task to count all of the seeds from 3 different pumpkins.
Check out this freebie that fed right into our pumpkin-mania...


After we exhausted all aspects of pumpkins my classroom became invaded by bats!
We've only begun to scratch the surface of our batty unit and the kids are so excited to learn more.




No comments:

Post a Comment